I often forget a salad at the bottom of the fridge.
And when I notice it, it's already completely damaged.
I guess, like me, you hate throwing food away. So what can you do to firm up a wilted salad?
Fortunately, my grandmother gave me a very simple recipe to revive a wilted salad.
All it takes is a little hot and cold water to make up for your damaged salad. Watch:
1. Immerse your salad in a tub of lukewarm water for 1 minute.
2. Empty your bin.
3. Fill it with very cold water:you can add ice cubes to lower the temperature even further.
4. Put your salad in this cold water for 5 minutes.
6. Empty your bin again.
7. Now rinse the salad by immersing it in water with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar.
8. Leave to soak for 5 minutes.
9. Wring it out.
There you go, your faded salad will regain its colors and crunch of yesteryear :-)
All you have to do is prepare a vinaigrette!
It is the temperature difference between hot and cold water that allows the withered lettuce to brown. The thermal shock restores firmness to the salad.