We are all tempted by a delicious pizza, but have you ever tried a strange or unusual topping? Pepperoni, chicken, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and cheese are common ingredients we associate with pizza, but there are some other weird toppings that you may not have tried. Check out some of these bizarre picks in our next list.
There is nothing wrong with adding vegetables to your pizza, in fact onions, mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes are part of it, but wait… peas? This vegetable is actually quite common and one of the most popular toppings in Brazil.
2. Cold Fish
Forget a quatro stagione pizza with 4 cheeses and go for a pizza with four types of fish. One of the most popular pizzas in Russia is known as the “mockba”, and it contains:sardines, tuna, mackerel, salmon and onions. That's not all:this pizza is also traditionally served cold, which is probably even more bizarre than the ingredient list.
3. Macaroni Cheese
Cheese is one of the most fundamental ingredients of traditional pizza as we know it. Also, we've adopted macaroni &cheese from the US as a meal, but when the two come together, we're left with the strange creation of macaroni cheese pizza. The pizza itself is just as you could imagine. The first few bites may taste a little different than you're used to, but if you like pizza and macaroni &cheese, you're in the right place.
4. Crab Crab is a popular meal in many countries around the world, but adding it to a pizza takes it to a whole new level. Crab could be the primary ingredient in a seafood pizza and can be complemented with other toppings such as cheese, tomatoes, chili and arugula. Compared to the peas mentioned earlier in the list, this topping is usually found in certain cultures or regions of the world. Is this a topping you want to taste?
5. Mashed potatoes Creamy mashed potatoes on a pizza aren't what we're used to eating potato, but this ingredient is another unusual topping that's on our list. That's not to say it won't be a tasty topping, but isn't mashed potatoes more suitable for a meal with meat and vegetables? Opinions on this are divided. What do you think?
This may be one for the sweet lovers, but chocolate on a pizza is definitely one of the most outlandish toppings we've ever heard of. This is more like a large biscuit, as this topping omits the traditional cheese and tomato base and instead opts for a generous spread of melted chocolate. Maybe suitable for dessert to try after a real pizza, then you have an excuse to eat two pizzas!
7. Caramelized onions, apples and goat cheese
Apples on a pizza? However, this tasty topping is the perfect balance of sweet and savory. The sweetness of the apples, creamy goat cheese, caramelized onions and maybe a little thyme… it's starting to look like something, isn't it?
8. Strawberry balsamic pizza with chicken, sweet onion and bacon
This rather eclectic pizza creation was the work of a food blogger who ate literally everything she had in the fridge late one night. What do you think?
9. Crocodile, Ostrich and Kangaroo
We have to be honest, this is probably not a topping that you will soon see somewhere on a menu in a pizzeria in the Netherlands or Europe itself. However, the incredibly exotic combination of crocodile, ostrich and kangaroo pizza is apparently popular Down Under. Does this unusual meat taste 'just like chicken'? You have to taste it yourself to find out when you are on holiday in Australia.
10. Baked beans
Before you think what now, Heinz – probably the leader in the baked bean market – actually made a baked bean pizza, that's how popular the idea was. If you like beans and melted cheese on toast, you might like this.
11. Peanuts, bananas, raisins, canned fruit cocktail, coleslaw, and curry powder
These ingredients aren't the most obvious when you think of a pizza, unless you're talking to a Swede, as these are popular pizza toppings in Sweden.
12. Smoked reindeer
'The Berlusconi' is a pizza made by a Finnish company and named after the then Italian Prime Minister when it won the title of Best Pizza in The World in 2008.
13. Burgers, fries and chicken nuggets
What if you just can't choose what to eat? Luckily someone somewhere invented The Happy Meal Pizza, topped with burgers, fries and chicken nuggets.
14. Cabbage, pork, noodles and squid
This combination doesn't sound like the tastiest in the world. However, you may think differently when you realize that the noodles form the pizza base. If you like a good pho, it has potential.
15. Pickles, Grapes, Port Wine &Gorgonzola
This looks more like a snack platter, but these pizza toppings actually have the potential to be quite tasty. Rich cheese, juicy grapes and tasty pickles?
16. Horse meat
Horse meat on a pizza is also not that obvious, but not for the Danes. The horse meat pizza is one of the most popular toppings in the Scandinavian country.
Coconuts are super healthy, so it was only a matter of time before someone put them on a pizza. This is the most popular pizza topping in Costa Rica.